Employee wellness program reduces cost, improves health
Now in the seventh year of a robust employee wellness program, Regence is seeing cost savings and improved health.
Putting the programs on the myRegence.com platform makes it easy to encourage use of health risk assessment, health cost estimator and comparison shopping, and rewarded good choices.
- 92 percent of Regence employees have a Rewards Plus scorecard where they can track healthy activities and participation in specific wellness events such as physical activity, nutrition and stress relief, as well as safety and financial health.
- 68% actively participate in wellness activities on a regular basis, tracked online, for which they get cash rewards and a discount on their health insurance premium.
- A 35 percent discount on healthy cafeteria options for employees increased sales of these items from 28 percent of all purchases to 75 percent.
- Adding new programs each year, like seasonal competitions, helps reach more employees and increase engagement, which is crucial to long-term health and savings.
Financial payoff improves over five years
A rigorous study of the return on investment (ROI) during 2005 to 2009 shows that participants reduced spending by $9.2 million:
- $387 per person per year in medical claims (1,791 risk-matched employees)
- $117 per person per year in disability costs (4,957 participating employees)
- $120 per person per year in unplanned absences (4,713 participating employees)
- This is an ROI of $1.78 for every $1 spent on wellness programs, including the costs of administering the program and capital costs such as on-site gyms.
Regence has subjected its wellness program to third-party review for both quality and effectiveness, and received local and national recognition for its excellence:
Culture breeds healthy attitudes
Regence employees have embraced healthier choices, such as voting fried foods off the cafeteria menu and increasing physical activity. In a survey, 93 percent of responding employees say the incentive program is worth the time and effort:
- "I've lost 45 pounds using the wellness program and have kept it off for three years."
- "Not only do I receive financial rewards, I actually learn about my health and receive the motivation to keep going."
- "The Wellness program reminds me to be proactive and helps me encourage others around me to take charge of their health too."
- "All of the programs have helped me be more motivated in my health care and enabled me to increase my knowledge."
- "Regence really backs up its commitment to a healthier lifestyle by offering these programs. I'm proud to work for a company that does not offer just lip service."
Taking the next step